Homemade Apple Pie Squares
Scrumptious homemade apple pie squares, now these will please everybody and simply irresistible with a nice cup of Irish Tea.
- ¼ cup (30g) walnuts, chopped
- ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ tsp. chai spice, store bought or homemade (see note below)
- Dry Ingredients:
- 1 ½ cups (190g) white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup (100g) coconut sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp chai spice
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- Wet Ingredients:
- 2 small apples, grated, moisture removed
- 1 cup (250g) unsweetened applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tbsp. Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup (120ml) unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup (120ml) maple syrup
- 2 tbsp. melted coconut oil
- ½ cup (115g) fat free cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ cup (120g) fat free Greek yogurt, room temperature
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a 8×12-inch cake pan with baking paper.
- Place all dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add the wet ingredients, with the exception of the coconut oil. Mix until well combined. Now fold the dry ingredients into the wet mixture.
- Finally add the melted coconut oil into the cake batter and stir to combine. Pour the batter into the earlier prepared pan and bake in the oven for 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the frosting ingredients into a bowl and whip together using a hand mixer.
- Once the cake has cooked and an inserted toothpick comes out clean, remove the cake from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool completely. Once cool, layer the frosting on top. Garnish with ground cinnamon and walnuts.
NotesDF - DAIRY FREE
MP - MEAL PREP (FREEZER FRIENDLY)
V - VEGATARIAN
N - CONTAINS NUTS
Homemade Chai Spice Mix:
6 tsp. ginger (ground), 2 tsp. nutmeg (ground), 2 tsp. allspice (ground), 2 tsp. cardamom (ground), 4 tsp. cinnamon (ground), 2 tsp. cloves (ground)
Recipeaward winningbest nutrition influencerElite Living Nutritionhealthy mealItalian recipekilkennyLaura warrenLose weight Irelandnutritionist