Homemade Italian Meatball Amore
Perfect cosy Friday night Italian Turkey Meatballs for a night in front of the tv with the fires blazing, the dogs up to mischief telling us what to do. This dish is so tasty and healthy and beats any take-away...
- 2 lbs. (900g) ground turkey, breast
- 2 cups (230g) mozzarella cheese, grated
- ½ cup (50g) Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. herbs de provence (or mixed herbs)
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp. chili flakes
- 1 cup (250ml) tomato sauce (passata)
- fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In a large bowl, combine the ground turkey, 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, egg, onion powder, garlic, herbs, black pepper, cayenne pepper and chili pepper flakes.
- Form the mixture into meatballs, roughly the size of a walnut and arrange them in a deep sided oven-proof dish. Place the dish in the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through. Remove the meatballs from the oven and drain off any excess grease.
- Now pour over the tomato sauce and top with the remaining 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese. Return the dish to the oven and bake for a further 5 to 10 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Serving Suggestion: To keep the dish low carb, serve with courgette noodles. If adding carbs, serve with wholegrain rice or wholegrain rice pasta.
Recipeaward winningbest nutrition influencerElite Living Nutritionhealthy mealItalian recipekilkennyLaura warrenLose weight Irelandnutritionist