There’s nothing like a good hearty healthy Irish Chicken Stew bubbling away in the oven to make your mouth water. I highly recommend that you invest in a lovely casserole dish to make a stew. My one is the Denby casserole dish. They are a small bit of an investment almost €100 but so worth it as you will have them for years. They are versatile, strong and easy to use, Denby cast iron cookware is crafted from the finest cast molten iron and enamelled both inside and out, for a stunning, scratch resistant finish and classic look
- 4 Chicken Legs on the bone
- 4 Chicken thighs (deboned)
- 3 Large organic carrots
- 2 Large parsnips
- 2 Organic Celery Stalks
- 4 cloves of Purple Garlic (or use as much as like) garlic is required taste
- 3 Large Sweet Potatoes
- Bunch of Fresh Coriander
- Herbs: Herbes De Provence
- Maldron Salt & Ground Black Pepper to taste
- Filippo Berio Classico Olivie Oil
- Knorr Chicken Stock Pots (slowly simmered with garlic & parsley
- Kerrygold Real Irish Butter
- Half large organic White Onion
- First of all prep is key - so prepare all your food before starting the recipe.
- I like to chop my vegetables nice and chunky especially for this stew.
- Once your vegetables are chopped up nicely - season with the Schwart Herbs de Provence and salt and pepper, leave to one side and do the exact same with your chicken thighs and legs - season the same way. I always wash my chicken in water and pat dry before seasoning. At this stage dissolve one stock pot in 500ml of boiling water and set to one side.
- Next place your casserole dish on your hob on a medium to high heat and drizzle in some olive oil- once that heats up put in a thumb size knob of kerrygold butter. Then place your chicken skin side down - what you are trying to achieve it brown the skin nicely. Once the chicken is browned nicely remove it from the casserole dish and place to one side.
- Now drizzle another little bit go olive oil and place in your white chopped up onion and garlic and let that sautée down slightly, the smell will be amazing.
- Then gentle toss in half of your vegetables and pour your dissolved stock pot over it. Now place one layer of your browned chicken on top and toss the remaining vegetables on that and then place the rest of your chicken on top. Add another 500ml of hot stock pot on top and mix all the ingredients around nice and gentle. Ensure that the stock is up to the same level as the vegetables and chicken in the casserole dish, otherwise they won't cook right (see photograph)
- Finally seasons it with sprinkle of salt and pepper and place the casserole dish on and place into a pre-heated oven on 180 for 2 hours.
- You will be left with a hearty warm Irish stew with the chicken melting off the bone.
NotesTIP - save yourself time peeling the vegetables and sweet potatoes and only peel off the bad parts as most of the nutrients of the vegetables are present in the skins...